Murica Barbacoa Taco and Batchelors PotatoInstagram #txbut006
This is an American-ized version of barbacoa made with chuck roast and using our RED salsa. In Texas traditional barbacoa is made in the ground with a cow's head and topped with white onion and cilantro on corn tortillas. We are fortunate to have a barbacoa dealer to buy from and save time. They and most our local dealers use cheek meat and tongue to make their barbacoa.The fat from a cow’s head is different from what comes from a chuck roast (it feels slicker). Nevertheless this is an excellent recipe very close to what I consider true barbacoa. Here’s our twist.
- 3-4 pound chuck roast pick what’s on sale
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2-3 chipotles
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 baker potato
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bag shredded sharp cheddar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 pack corn tortillas
- 1 bottle RED salsa
- Cut up the chuck roast in 2- 3 inch cubes
- Cut up the chipotles, garlic, and onion.
- Instock a pot stock pot at medium heat pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Throw everything in the pot but meat and broth. Cook till tender.
- Throw in the meat and sear all sides. I like to get a crisp dark seared color.
- Turn heat to low and pour in beef broth.
- Simmer for 6-8 hours covered.
- Lightly poke or stab potato/s with fork 4 time on 4 sides.
- Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- When cooled slice 1/4 inch down the length of potato. Don’t cut all the way through.
- Place on tin foil and spread open best you can. Looking for a small opening at slices.
- Sprinkle salt and chopped garlic over slits.
- Heat butter to liquid and pour over top of potato.
- Stuff and sprinkle cheddar on potato.
- Close foil over potato airtight.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cool down open and eat.
- In a pan toast tortilla to taste.
- Place about ¼ to ½ cup barbacoa in tortilla.
- Top taco off with RED salsa or white onion and cilantro (or your own…)
Don’t simmer too high. Our stoves low setting is a frog's hair to hot. I’ll write up a barbacoa recipe using cheek and tongue meat soon. In our world it is against the law to use any other tortilla than corn. It’s Murica, do what taste good to you and yours.
About The Recipes:
Hay yall! Don’t be afraid to adjust ingredients to your taste. None of these recipes came from a written measured recipe. They are made and noted on the fly. If you don't have any Texas Butter I guess we'll overlook it if you use what's in your pantry. Be sure to ask how something turned out or you have questions. Expect grammar errors, these are not checked much. Well, in general I can't spell worth a crap. Will hashtag recipes that match a search here and the same hashtag in the Instagram's image comments. Hashtags will look something like #txbut001. In a nut shell these are made for:
- Product testing
- Requested site feature
- Speed and cost matter
- We eat our own dog food
- Ideas for products
- Shawn gots hungry
- Couple three birds, one stone...
Thanks - Shawn