Fish Tacos Southern Mango Boom
Fish and/or Shrimp Parts
- 1 pound Swai ((or your favorite fish))
- ½ pound shrimp (peeled deviened)
- ½ tbsp Cottonmouth
Mango Pico Parts
- 6 oz mango (='s 1 ripe cut into about ½ inch cubes)
- 1 oz red bell pepper (cut into small squares)
- 1 oz yellow bell pepper ( cut into small squares)
- 1 oz jalapeno (='s 1/2 jalap, diced)
- 1 oz red onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp cilantro (chopped )
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water (cold, fizzy water, or beer)
- 2 oz egg (='s 1 egg)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cottonmouth
Funky Sauce (optional)
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- ½ tbsp pepper flakes
- 12 oz corn tortillas (1 bag)
- 48 ounces peanut oil
Fish and/or Shrimp Prep
- In pot go ahead and start heating oil to 365 degrees.
- Cut fish into strips or no bigger than 2 inch squared.
- Clean dry and sprinkle Cottonmouth all over.
Fry Batter Prep
- Mix dry ingredients good.
- Put cold water in bowl and whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Mix til incorporated and not lumpy. Doesn’t take much.
Mango Pico Prep
- While oil is likely still heating mix all the mango parts ingredients and test.
- Longer it sits better it gets.
- Also start heating small fry pan to medium heat for tortilla warm up.
Time To Burn
- When frying you need the oil pretty hot and can’t add too much crap at once. I’ll add like 4 pieces at a time pumping 365 degree oil.
- When you drop those 4 pieces in your oil temperature is gonna drop big time. Hang in there, set timer at 4 minutes and towards the 3 minute mark you should see oil coming back up.
- When they are nice and golden brown, about 4 minutes possibly longer. Pull from very hot oil with tongs or a fry basket picker upper thing. This is where your judgement comes in.
- Place on rack or paper towels to drain.
Plating The Tacos
- Mix up “Funky Sauce” if you're using.
- Heat both side of tortillas you are using in your preheated pan. If you have a stick of butter rub a very little bit in bottom of pan. Like a quick brush light coating.
- Lastly lay in tortilla a line of fish, some mango pico, a shrimp, and funky sauce.
- It’s all you! Enjoy amigo!!!
© Texas Butter®
➕ Last 12 Recipes
Hay yall! Don’t be afraid to adjust or substitute ingredients to your taste. These recipes didn’t come from a written measured recipe. They are made, noted, measured on the fly, then pumped up here when time permits and most importantly only if they tasted good.
If you don’t have any Texas Butter I guess we’ll overlook it if you use what’s in your pantry. Be sure to ask how something turned out or you have questions. Expect grammar errors, these are not checked much other than what my browser flags. Well, in general I can’t spell worth a crap. Thanks – Shawn