Fried Oysters Bacon Wrapped and Smoked Ribs
- 1 cup oysters (medium about 12 total)
- 1 lb bacon. ((thin) )
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water (cold )
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Cottonmouth ((optional))
- 1 tsp salt
- 40 ounce peanut oil (or lard. Enough to cover an oyster.)
- 3 lb ribs
- ¼ cup Sowflakes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Drain or pat dry oysters
- Most southerners use corn meal when frying. This dinner didn’t. If you want sum southern comfort divide the flour and substitute with corn meal. Like ½ cup flour and ½ cup cornmeal OR ¼ flour and ¾ cornmeal. Just as long as both together = 1 cup.
- In a fry pan or your best pan to fry in, heat oil up to 375.
- In a bowl add flour, water, Cottonmouth, salt, baking soda, and whisk together.
- Dip oyster in batter and gently lay in HOT oil. Do max 5 at a time to retain heat. Adjust heat accordingly.
- After about 3 minutes or until golden brown pull from oil and place in metal strainer or on paper towels.
- Cut your cheap bacon in half.
- Set up a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grate on top.
- Lay piece of bacon on board and roll oyster in the middle.
- Pin end of bacon into the oyster and place on cookie sheet rack.
- Once all oysters are rolled put in oven for 20 minutes.
- Pull from oven and flip oysters over 180 bottom up.
- Place back in oven and cook additional 15 minutes. Done
- Get your smoker or whatever you're using to cook ribs with to 188 degrees.
- Add wood chips if using. I did these with mesquite because it’s my favorite. Pecan and oak wood are typical around here.
- Cover meat side with Sowflakes. If you can do this a day ahead that would be great. I didn’t…
- Place in smoker with temperature gauge to regulate in pit heat.
- Try not to open pit too much. At 8 hours they will be tender and ready!
- You know what to do… get after it and enjoy!
© Texas Butter®
➕ Last 12 Recipes
If you don’t have any Texas Butter I guess we’ll overlook it if you use what’s in your pantry. Be sure to ask how something turned out or you have questions. Expect grammar errors, these are not checked much other than what my browser flags. Well, in general I can’t spell worth a crap. Thanks – Shawn
➕ Product Used