Cajun Grilled Shrimp and Twisted Dirty RiceInstagram #txbut056
Cajun Grilled Shrimp and Twisted Dirty Rice
These jumbo grill Gulf Coast shrimp turned out mighty fine and very simple to cook. If you can’t find head on shrimp or gulf shrimp it’s fine to use what’s available. Honestly it’s a cleaner eating experience removing heads and tails when shelling. Some recipes that call for head-n-tails are meant for consuming. These are not, they are for eye candy. The dirty rice is chicken liver free and next time I will consider adding some finely shredded or chopped chicken. My Aunt says you can never have too much onions in Cajun cooking and in the trinity for the rice is onion packed.
Course: Main Course
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- 3 tbsp Cottonmouth
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ tbsp cilantro
- ½ garlic clove super smashed with dash of salt.
Dirty Rice Nuts-n-Bolts
- 14 ounce rice
- 28 ounce chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 1/12 cup chopped celery (3 stalks)
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 1 pound breakfast sausage or just ground pork
- 2 tsp salt
Dirty Rice Construction 1st
- In a medium heated saucepan spray some no stick spray (if needed) and drop in pork sausage.
- Cook pretty hard to where you get dark brown crispy pieces. The more the better.
- Drain pork and set aside.
Put the dirty saucepan back on heat, add a shot of oil, then the trinity (onion, bell pepper, celery).
- Add salt while stirring trinity. Cook until onions turn translucent (non crunchy).
- Add cooked pork, chicken broth, and rice in trinity. Mix it up.
- Set heat to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- This is a good time to start shrimp.
- Stoves vary in heat ranges. All four of my burners register different heat when set at same settings. Your simmer should be a week one to prevent bottom rice from burning. You might want to check and stir dirty rice at five minutes.
- At 10 minutes check if rice is done and taste test for salt. Depending on weather conditions it can take my rice extra time to cook.
- When ready set aside.
Shrimp To Plate
- Peel shrimps body armor “rings” from head to tail leaving head and tail on at your preference.
- Carefully cut line on back of shrimp to expose and remove crap line. Clean with cold water, carefully if you're keeping head and tails.
- Cover shrimp with Cottonmouth leaving a pinch for plating.
- Now these were done on a cast iron grill pan but I’d rather had them charcoaled.
- Get your grill pan to medium high heat.
- Spray no stick and lay in shrimp.
- Cook shrimp for about 1 minute per side and pull.
- Put butter, cilantro, garlic in bowl, and heat for about 30 seconds.
- I took a cereal bowl and filled it with dirty rice.
- Placed dinner plate on top of bowl upside down.
- Flipped the two together so plate is now upright and bowl is upside down.
- Removed bowl leaving perfectly shaped mountain of rice on plate.
- You can also just spoon some rice on plate.
- Lay shrimp all around rice mountain.
- Pour melted butter concoction over shrimps.
- Dash remaining Cottonmouth over plate.
- Pour yourself some Boones Farm and get after it!
About The Recipes:
- Made for product testing
- Most requested site feature
- Speed and cost matter
- We eat our own dog food
- Ideas for our products
- Shawn gots hungry
Hay yall! Don’t be afraid to adjust ingredients to your taste. None of these recipes came from a written measured recipe and are made on the fly. If you don't have any Texas Butter I guess we'll overlook it if you use what's in your pantry. Be sure to ask how something turned out or you have questions. Expect grammar errors, these are not checked much and translated voice to text. Will hashtag recipes that match a search here and the same hashtag in the Instagram's image comments. Hashtags will look something like #txbut001. Thanks - Shawn